Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Seek and ye shall find...

I just wanted to share a few things from this past weekend. I attended the Regional Women's Conference where we got to hear from Sister Sylvia H. Allred, the first counselor in the General Relief Society Presidency. (I even met her very briefly afterward and she gave me a hug and told me thank you for being a good mom!) It was a great meeting from beginning to end and I was so happy to be able to attend! That night we had the adult session of stake conference and it was really great to hear insights from our stake leaders as well. We did of course attend the general session the next morning, and while we made it through the meeting with minimal problems, we are not quite at the point where we can sit and take notes yet! So as great as the meeting was, I don't really remember much! That's okay though. We will get there one of these days! :)So, some of these are quotes from the speakers but of course they are not word for word. And then some of them are just my own thoughts that came to me during the meeting.

The Holy Ghost may go misheeded or misheard but it is never misunderstood. -So I guess I feel the need to share a little bit more about this one. Several times in the past few weeks, I have been prompted to do something and unfortunately I haven't done it usually because I thought I was too busy at the moment. Then a day or two later, I have been shown why I should have listened. I guess because of those things, this comment really hit home for me. I want so much to do better and I have resolved to try. I need to remind myself when these things happen that nothing is so important that it can't be set aside for a minute or two while I make a quick phone call or swing by someone's house to check on them.

Gaining faith is a process for all of us. At times all we can bring to the Lord is a desire to believe but even then he can help us.

Sometimes coming to Jesus means we must forgo worldly assurances and step unknowingly out into the sea.

Do not pray for tasks equal to your abilities but for abilities equal to your tasks. Then the task itself will not be the miracle but you will be the miracle.

Just like the Ammonite women had to flee wickedness and find a new place to raise their families in righteousness, we need to flee the wickedness around us as well. No, we cannot pick up and leave the communities we live in, but we can create a spiritual sanctuary within our homes.

Women have many opportunities for leadership within the church and are essential to the plan of salvation.

Sisters open their arms to a kind hug and open their hearts to those in need.

We are measured by what we give and not by what we receive. So we should not be asking what Relief Society can give us, but what we can give to Relief Society.

It is essential for us to put as much of our energy and efforts into strengthening families.

When visiting teaching, we must see ourselves as the Lord's personal messenger. We are the ones responsible for expressing the Lord's love to each sister and seeing to their personal and spiritual needs.

As sisters, we matter more than we think we do. We make a difference and when we live our testimonies of the gospel, we are able to positively affect those around us.

Patterns are there to help us. They keep us on the right course. And the best pattern to follow is that of the life of Jesus Christ.

The world teaches quick results with minimal effort while the Lord's way requires work, time, and patience.

Spiritual sprints may look great, but they actually make us very lazy. Because they are so difficult, we need to take long periods of rest afterward where we do not progress. Slow and steady is far more effective in the long run.

Be cheerfully engaged in all things.

Electronic devices are still not allowed in the mission field! Our youth MUST learn how to use the scriptures.

Satin makes it easy for us to lose ourselves in our electronic devices.

Our children need to learn to work, play, and communicate. Technology does not allow for these things to happen.

We can survive without technology but we cannot survive without the Holy Ghost.

Attending the temple helps to restore the blessing promised to us after we have repented of our sins.

The people we do proxy work for in the temple need us but we need them as well. We cannot keep our temple covenants without the opportunity to return.

Are we unknowingly aiding the adversary in his plight to keep our children from marriage and a family?

Many of our youth are losing confidence in the organization of the family. -I couldn't help but think of myself when I heard this one and the way I felt about marriage several years ago. My parents were always wonderful examples of a loving marriage, but there were some other examples very prominent in my life that were very negative. I saw constant arguing between the couples themselves and then often times, the spouses would even complain about each other to their friends or family members. This kind of marriage did not look like fun to me and I lost interest in the idea of marriage completely. It took time, a loving bishop, and meeting Chad for me to realize that not all marriages we conducted that way. So that we do not promote such negative thoughts and feelings about marriage to others, Chad and I try very hard to solve our problems between ourselves and not share them with others. I do not speak negatively about him to my friends, and I feel confident in saying that he does not speak negatively about me either. Our marriage isn't perfect and we don't always agree, but we do the best we can to work together and bring a happy, loving atmosphere to our home.

Any doctrine that is anti-family is also anti-Christ.

Any accountant will tell you that it is impossible to live as well on 90% as on 100% but this blessing is extended to every full-tithe payer out there.

If there are not miracles happening in our families, we are the ones preventing them from happening, for God wishes to bestow upon us the blessings of a miracle.

Having a family is a faith-based activity.

And finally, here is a youtube video of one of the songs that was sung during women's conference. I loved it so much that I had to share!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJRhxr8IxM4

No comments: